Aunt Bettye's last question to me was regarding work. Yes, it has been underway quite some time. As you may recall, we got in on a Saturday. Monday and Tuesday I had little logistical meetings (read: little necessary things that could have been done the morning I started work). But Wednesday I officially began work. So I have logged 2.5 weeks to this point.
It has actually been great. I operate more, more people defer to my judgment. The work hours are even better than the Kleinert fellowship (which, in turn, was a good bit better than residency!). And I am making more money. All of this in a new land half way around the world. Not bad!
To this point we have only seen a couple of things. Last weekend we just did a day trip to Akaroa. Check it out on the map. It is a nice little coastal town settled by some French fellas. I need to look into how this isolated place was the only, or one of the only, French colonies here. The streets are in French, and the French flag flies over the doorways of a few hotel doorways.
Matt will appreciate that it is a popular site for morning rides from Christchurch. We saw plenty of bicycles initially en route, but I doubt that they were going anywhere close to that far. But the bikes with motors ripped by with regularity. Several of them were there in town.
This weekend we went to Hamner Springs and spent the weekend at a wonderful bed &
breakfast. In fact, the accommodation was better than the site. It is a wonderful natural phenomenon to have hot water bubbling up in the wintry mountains, but it was really, at least for me, more of a pain to get out and run for the open-air changing rooms, children in arms, and try to dry off and get warm again than it was to soak in water a little cooler than a hot tub.... especially when the B&B had a hot tub available.
breakfast. In fact, the accommodation was better than the site. It is a wonderful natural phenomenon to have hot water bubbling up in the wintry mountains, but it was really, at least for me, more of a pain to get out and run for the open-air changing rooms, children in arms, and try to dry off and get warm again than it was to soak in water a little cooler than a hot tub.... especially when the B&B had a hot tub available.The next morning, being today, we went to Kaikoura (Maori for "fish food"). Like most places, it was kind of sleepy due to the season, worsened by the drizzle. But it was beautiful. I don't think
either of us has ever been able to see surf and snow in the same view before. The highlight, though, was the visit to the seal colony just outside of town. Ryan loved it! We strolled down a dirt path around the corner to see a handful of them just a few meters away. While taking a few photos we heard grunts and snorts from the bushes behind us. Looking more closely, we realized they were everywhere! Under each bush tended to be another one looking to get out of the wind and take a nap. Wow, maybe we don't have our senses tuned enough to be out on any walkabouts yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment